Monday, January 14, 2008

Childhood Story

Prompt from One Deep Breath: Childhood Story

The hot Texas day gave me a craving for a cherry Popsicle so I decided to walk to Joe's, the store down the road from my house and buy one. The asphalt was so hot my small feet left their imprints on the road as I hurried along. Walking into the store the ever present smell of sawdust and the cool air welcomed me as always. Going over to the ice cream case I noticed Robbie, the love of my life standing there trying to decide which kind of ice cream he wanted. Once he spotted me staring at him he hissed..."what are you looking at, you little brat?" That one question crushed me and brought me to tears, causing me to run out of Joe's all the way back home.

hot summer day
craving a cool treat
finding a broken heart

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Aw. Darn. Aw. Nice work, though!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thank you, Tumblewords. Not to worry, Robbie later asked me to marry him but I had to tell him he was too late. I was already in love with someone else. ;) BTW, Robbie was my first boyfriend...in the third grade. LOL

7:46 PM  
Blogger SandyCarlson said...

This brings back memories of my own walks to the corner store! Wonderful work, Sandy.
Writing in Faith>

7:50 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Nice work... the shock of it is still painful, even if you're completely recovered.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

SC, thank you very much.

Shelley, I'm sure I do not have to tell you how hurtful children can be to each other and this was only one example of what Robbie did to me. However, he was picked on by his older brother and my own brother so he had a chip on his shoulder. Though he did hurt me I could understand it...in hindsight.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

The corner candy store is a clear memory of my own. And your particular story brought back memories of the various loves of my younger life. (I sat on one until he said he loved me! LOL!)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Oh Roswila, you have me laughing so hard...I kid you not...you are too funny.

S

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A neat haiku - very well put.

3:10 PM  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Awwww. No amount of ice cream would ever mend a broken heart.

1:33 AM  
Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

3 lines that capture the biggest heartache of younger days. i agree with spacedlaw

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home